Chicago Chapter Annual Show & Tell & Dinner
at The Cliff Dwellers Club
200 South Michigan Avenue, 22nd Floor Penthouse
Wednesday, December 3rd
Cocktails (cash bar) at 5:30 pm
Dinner at 6:30 pm - Program at 8 pm
CHOICE PRESENTER SLOTS OPEN!
In keeping with the Show and Tell tradition, presenters are asked to keep their slideshows to 8 minutes or under.
Both LCD and traditional slide projectors will be available along with a laptop loaded with Powerpoint and Microsoft.
Contact Bill Locke at 312-932-9790 with questions.
THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST.
VISIT SOON FOR SAH CHICAGO CHAPTER EVENT UPDATES!
Column Capital in Roosevelt University's Ganz Hall. Photo: HABS 1963
The Society of Architectural Historians National and the Chicago Chapter invite you to a special preview excerpt of the documentary film Louis Sullivan: The Struggle for American Architecture.
When complete this film will be the first ever feature-length documentary devoted to Sullivan and the passionate struggle to preserve his buildings. The film includes sumptuous photography and important archival material.
Friday November 7th, 2008
In Sullivan’s masterpiece Ganz Hall at
430 South Michigan Avenue
Reception: 5:30 pm
Preview Excerpt: 6:15 pm
Discussion with Director
Mark Richard Smith 6:45 pm
FREE for SAH National and Chicago Chapter Members
$10 for non-members
$5 for students
Space is limited.
The National Organization Society of Architectural Historians and the Chicago Chapter are truly grateful to Roosevelt University and the Chicago Center for Performing Arts.
MORE ON RUDOLPH GANZ MEMORIAL HALL - FROM THE CHICAGO CENTER FOR PERFORMING ARTS AT ROOSEVELT UNIVERSITY WEBSITE FROM A STUDY BY BOOTH HANSEN ARCHITECTS:
Ganz Hall was originally conceived as a banquet hall for the Auditorium Hotel after the building had already been constructed in 1890. Louis Sullivan, the architect of the building, was faced with trying to build a new large space within the world's largest mixed-use high-rise building. The only area available for constructing a room for banqueting was above the Auditorium Theatre.
The two primary innovations of the project were to design a special support system for a two-story structure and bring about a refined space capable of formal dining. First, Sullivan worked closely with his partner and structural engineer, Dankmar Adler, to develop a system of iron trusses. The entire frame of the building was constructed to span across the top of the Theatre similar to the long spans of bridge design. This was the first innovation of the project.
The Banquet Hall, entered from the seventh floor of the hotel, is a fine example of the refinement of the ornamentation, the second innovation. Sullivan used a unique and distinctive system of ornamentation such as carved wood panels and capitals, stenciled wall patterns, elaborate plaster work, gilded lighting fixtures, and the use of Michigan birch and gold leaf - all of which made the interior striking. A young apprentice working for Sullivan, Frank Lloyd Wright, had obtained much responsibility at the time and designed some of the ornament.
The ornament is quite intricate and well-developed. The columns are large tapered-over scaled piers with rounded corners from which the ornament "appears" from the grain of the wood. The piers were a modern expression of the time because Sullivan stripped away all the traditional Victorian details in lieu of a simple oversized design.
Around 1912, the Banquet Hall was used as a Masonic Lodge. The Masons made several alterations. The musicians' gallery at the north end of the hall was removed. A balcony was installed at the rear of the hall. They also sealed the center pair of doors, removed three of the stained glass windows, and painted the remaining windows black. The stencils were painted over and acoustical tiles were applied to the face of the beams.
In 1956, Chicago Musical College of Roosevelt University obtained the Hall. Many of the Masons' alterations were eliminated and the Hall was restored and converted to a recital hall. Under the direction of architect Crombie Taylor, the goal of restoring the room as closely as possible to the original ornamentation while providing an attractive hall for music recitals was begun. A stage and fixed theatre seating were installed to achieve this function. The majority of stencil patterns were recovered. Today, reproductions of the stencils remain on the back wall and in one of the arches as originally designed by Sullivan. However, some of the work that was planned, such as the stenciling on the beams and walls, and installing the ornamental light fixtures, was not completed at that time.
In 1980, architect John Vinci completed a project that helped control the environmental effects on the hall. A new roof and exterior wall system were installed along with new windows and skylights. Water that had been seeping into the Hall was eliminated. This was the beginning of keeping the Hall intact without further damage.
Work continues to restore the hall to its former splendor and provide adequately for use of the space as a recital hall. In 2001 the paintings lining the walls were removed and restored at the Art Institute. In the fall of 2002 the "electroliers" were recreated and installed, as well as a new HVAC system.
Ganz Hall history taken from a preliminary architectural report by Booth/Hansen & Associates, (c) 2004 Chicago College of Performing Arts.
Saturday, August 23rd
Art commissioned for architecture undoubtedly pre-dates the caves at Lascaux but where do we stand now? How
are design relationships between fine art and contemporary architecture negotiated? Have things changed since Picasso met Daley Center?
Our panel of knowledgeable professionals will be led by
City of Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs
Location: Spire Sales Office
455 North Cityfront Plaza, 18th Floor
Refreshments 1:00 pm
Panel Discussion / Q & A 1:30 pm
FREE FOR SAH MEMBERS
$10 for Guests
Limited to 30 persons
RSVP to email@example.com
or Keith Bringe 708-358-1394
Sponsored by Shelbourne Development Group.
Developing The Chicago Spire
Explore LaSalle Peru, the Hegeler Carus Sites, Hotel Kaskaskia and
ITINERARY: Leave Prairie Av. Bookstore
418 S. Wabash 9:30 SHARP.
Fruit, OJ & Snacks on Bus
Tour Hegeler Carus Sites
11:45 – 1:30
Catered Lunch at HC Sites 1:30 – 2:15
Visit Hotel Kaskaskia
2:15 – 3:00
I & M Canal Boat Tour 3:15 – 4:15
Return Chicago (418 S. Wabash) 6:30
The Hegeler Carus Foundation
The I & M Canal
W. W. Boyington
Questions: Call Keith at 708-358-1394 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Susan Benjamin and Stuart Cohen
Foreword by Franz Schulze and Arthur H. Miller
9 x 12 inches, 334 pages
ISBN: 978-0-926464-39-8 • $75.00
SAH and Chicago Chapter members Susan Benjamin and Stuart Cohen have produced the most comprehensive overview on Chicago’s mansions, castles and residential fortresses. This outstanding volume balances diverse sources and matches the pantheon of architects with those early patrons - the pioneers, nouveau riche and old eastern money.
Nearly 350 sepia toned photographs, drawings, and floor plans are breathtaking in scope and detail. The visual content effectively evokes the muffled footsteps of parlor maids and rebukes by gruff railroad barons. Rare figures of inhabitants intervene only occasionally; a child on a tricycle, Mr. Eliphalet Blatchford in his library but mostly the human presence consists of portraits above highly embellished fireplaces. Even so, readers will derive a clear sense of each family’s private aesthetic and public facade.
Interior design and decorative arts are as compelling as the structures. Paintings, sculpture, textiles, carvings, animal skins, all manner of souvenirs from grand tours and chotzkes galore - are piled in impeccable abandon. It's tempting to search for the few objects that found their way to the Art Insitute's collection.
The Editorial content is superb in providing the ontology of Chicago’s residential style, social context, family history and the sources of wealth. Great Chicago Houses is also peppered with aridly amusing anecdotes. It makes a surprisingly entertaining read.
I was especially touched by the 1903 Julius Rosenwald House by Nimmons & Fellows and the authors' treatment. The book’s testimony to one of the greatest of Chicago’s early entrepreneurs and philanthropists is gracious and the house itself is uncomplicated but beautifully designed.
Julius Rosenwald House
One note for the inevitable 2nd edition: while some photo dates are available in the Illustration Credits, label dates or indication of the probable range when the pictures were taken (circa) or even “date unknown” would provide an even richer context. Knowing if the varnish on the spindles is dry or decades old would add polish to this significant volume.
- Keith Bringe
All photo's copyright 2008 Acanthus Press
35 East Wacker Drive, Suite, #250
Free for Members / $10 for Non-Members
RSVP TO Judy Freeman 773-929-0329 or email@example.com
John Augur Holabird was born in 1920 in Chicago, the son of architect John A. Holabird and grandson of William Holabird, founder of the firm Holabird and Roche (later Holabird and Root). He studied architecture at Harvard University where he earned his bachelor's degree in 1942 and his master's degree in 1948. Holabird's architectural work included the Francis W. Parker School in Chicago, the Ravinia Pavilion and Restaurant in Highland Park, Illinois, and the Intramural Physical Education building at the University of Illinois in Champaign/Urbana.
Graceland Cemetery Plan Chapel (1888)
Fort Sheridan, 1890
Monadnock Building (South Half), 1893
Marquette Building, 1895
Gage Group Buildings, 1899
Oliver Building, 1907 & 1920
University Club of Chicago, 1909
Cook County Courthouse/Chicago City Hall, 1910
Soldier Field, 1924
Palmer House Hotel, 1927
333 North Michigan Building, 1928
Palmolive Building, 1929
Chicago Daily News Building, 1929 (pictured above)
Chicago Board of Trade Building, 1930
Foellinger Auditorium Addition, U of I Urbana 1985
ROUNDTABLE AT CHARNLEY PERSKY HOUSE:
David Bahlman on “The State of Preservation”
Bahlman is Executive Director, President and CEO of Landmarks Illinois (formerly Landmarks Preservation Council of Illinois). Mr. Bahlman is a veteran in historic preservation and will address recent triumphs and pending tragedies in the State.
Update: Bahlman has recently announced his retirement but has confirmed his participation in the Roundtable.
Tuesday. March 18th
Refreshments at 6:00 / Roundtable at 6:30
Gather at Charnley Persky House
RSVP to Keith Bringe
708-358-1394 or firstname.lastname@example.org
MARK SMITH, JACK & GILLIAN SCHULTZ OF METRONET INTEGRATED (OUR SPONSORS) AT THE LOUIS SULLIVAN FILM AT GANZ HALL
SAH Chapter Board Member and Pullman Curator Linda Bullen gets an autograph by "Gospel of Buddha" author Paul Carus descendant Blouke
John Holabird film and talk at AIA Chicago
Left to Right: Furniture maker Lloyd Natof, Whitecap Films' Mark Richard Smith who is producing a feature length documentary on Louis Sullivan, AIA Vice President Zurich Esposito and Chicago Art Deco Society President Joe Loundy.
The view from AIA Chicago's office.
David's talk drew a full house and included an overview of his remarkable career - from serving as Director of SAH National (in Philly) to San Francisco Library murals to LPCI's stellar accomplishments at Farnsworth House and more plus where he's going - to an impeccably restored 18th century house in Conneticut. The Chicago Chapter honored Bahlman with a resolution and a plaque. A little praise for Ceasar - and all with the bust of Seymour looking on... We really will miss you, DB.